Tuesday, March 3, 2009
Have you ever.....
Have you ever gone to taste/eat something and a flood of memories came rushing through your brain???? Well tonight this happened to me and I loved every moment of it:-) So last week I bought some ice cream cause it was $2.88 at one of our local grocery markets and picked up butter pecan. I can not tell you the last time I had butter pecan, needless to say I was excited to try it again. Anyway, fast forward to tonight.....We were done with dinner and I remembered I had ice cream and told the kids that we were going to have ice cream for dessert and they were so excited. I was getting excited myself as I was scooping up my butter pecan. I had two other flavors that I knew the kids would love. Anyway, as I sat down to start my ice cream eating, I closed my eyes to take my first bite and the flavor of the butter pecan seriously brought back all of these memories of working summers at Meadow Brook at the ice cream parlor. You see my dad was a co-owner to a catering company called Bowman's, who during the summers had a contract at this outdoor theater, to do all of the food. I must of "started" to work there when I was 5 or so. Well, all of us kids in our family, except for my youngest sister were able to work there for many years. I seriously feel so blessed to have had those experiences working at a young age, seeing first hand how hard work pays off. I still to this day have so much gratitude in my heart to have been able to had that in my life. It was fun to share about a half an hour, at the table tonight, telling the girls and the hubby, some of the memories I have of Meadow Brook summers. I made a visual aid with the rectangle plate of how Meadow Brook was set up. It was cute to see the girls so engaged in what I had to say. Little Amanda kept asking questions, i.e."So the nurses station was over there and you would go there and get band aids?" or "So was the popcorn machine as big as daddy's at work?" or "How many different flavors of ice cream were there?" I love how food can do this to me. I don't know if it is all that normal, but I am still grateful that it happens to me:-) So if any of you have had similar experiences with food, let me know! Happy eating/memories:-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Yes, I've had that happen before but not very often. For me it happens with smells. Like once I was out and smelled something that immediately took be back to my Grandma's old house. Another time while I was away at college and very homesick my mom sent me a whole branch of a blossoming orange tree. Its incredible how it can trigger the memories! I'm sure your husband and girls loved it!
So true! I have had that happen before as well. So fun! Miss you guys!
I loved Meadowbrook. Favorite flavor was Mackinack Island Fudge. Mmmm. Just thinking about ice cream always takes me back to summer time in Michigan. I was always in the ice cream parlor. That's why I was so buff back then. Hahaha.
Strawberry ice cream does it for me--reminds me of being little in Germany. I wonder if my mom ever made a turtle cheesecake again if it would remind meof the time I ate too much food and threw up at a Mia Maid sleepover in my friend's front yard. Nice.
I miss Meadow Brook too. I remember going there when I was around 8 and dad would pay us 25¢ for each umbrella we rolled open and rolled closed. Seriously those were the best summers ever. I was just remembering this the other night too. I spent 7 summers at Meadow Brook and they are truly fond memories. Getting tips from women in the bathrooms as we directed them to the back stalls that were open. Picking up bottles and cans and making money off of all the returns. Even going backstage from time to time and meeting the performers and giving them food. Sliding down the back hill on boxes. I hated the fact that dad lost the contract the year I could finally drive to Meadow Brook. UGH! When we were living in Pontiac we had to drive by Meadow Brook every Sunday on our way to church so I got to point it out to the kids and tell them a new story every time.
As soon as you said that you bought butter pecan I knew that you were going to talk about Meadow Brook. I think that the last time I had butter pecan. Meadow Brook summers were fun. Thanks for bringing back some memories
When we moved to AZ almost 7 years ago I had millions of these experiences because my family had lived here for three years when I was six. I would be walking down the sidewalk and a smell of some arizona flower would hit me and suddenly I felt like I was seven again. The smell of the hot earth after it rains in August is another distinct smell.
Post a Comment